Thursday 25 October 2012

The Yeast of the Kingdom of God


My last post focused on the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees. In it I said that this gave us an image of bread dough being puffed up by the yeast that was mixed into it. This was a picture of pride and arrogance; and the desire to be in control. In this post I want to contrast this with another image of yeast that Jesus gave in the Gospel stories.
 We find this in Matthew 13: 33:                                                                                                                 “Jesus also used this illustration: ‘The Kingdom of Heaven is like yeast used by a woman making bread. Even though she used a large amount of flour, the yeast permeated every part of the dough.’”
We have to understand this image in the context in which it is given. This 13th chapter of Matthew starts off with Jesus telling a story about a farmer sowing seeds across his field. The seeds fell into different types of soil. The type of soil, together with the surrounding conditions (hard and resistant; shallow with underlying rock; full of thorns which choked the plants; or fertile soil), determined whether or not the seed produced a good harvest.
After hearing this story his disciples asked Jesus why he always taught using stories. Jesus replied by saying that they had been permitted to understand the secrets of the Kingdom of Heaven but others had not. To those who were open to his teaching more understanding would be given, and they would have an abundance of knowledge. But to those who did not listen, even what they had would be taken away from them. That was why he taught in stories because people saw what he saw, but they did not really see. They heard what he said, but they did not really hear or understand. Jesus said however that his disciples were blessed because they could see, hear and understand what he was saying.
We are told in Mt 13:35 that this fulfilled the prophecy that said,                                                                 “I will speak to you in parables.  I will explain mysteries hidden since the creation of the world” (From Psalm 78:2)
 
Jesus then went on to explain what the story of the farmer planting his seeds meant. You can read his explanation in Mt 13:18-23. He also told two other planting parables: the first about weeds and wheat growing together; the second about the kingdom of God being like a mustard seed which is planted. He said that it was the smallest of seeds, yet grew into a large tree. The story of the weeds and wheat is explained in Mt 13: 37-43.
 A third story was also given, which is the one that we started this post off with, concerning yeast being mixed into bread dough. An explanation of this story is not given. So what does it mean?
The meaning of the story is unlocked by the overall context we have been looking at. The Kingdom of God is not immediately obvious. It is a ‘hidden’ reality. Only its effects become evident. A small amount of yeast is kneaded into a large amount of dough, and becomes invisible to the eye. Yet, despite being invisible, that yeast is very active. But its effects take a while to be noticed. After the yeast is kneaded into the dough it is usually left to ‘prove’. Only after a time does the dough slowly begin to rise to a degree. However, the full effect of the yeast only becomes apparent when the dough is put into an oven. Heat is needed to allow the catalytic effect of the yeast to become obvious to the eye. The bread begins to rise in the heat of the oven. Then something full and rounded emerges; which smells great, is wonderful to look at, and is nutritious and tasty. That’s the effect of the yeast; and the effect of the Kingdom of God. Looking at the lump of dough before it goes into the oven, it is nothing like what emerges afterwards. That is what the Kingdom of God is like. It brings about personal transformation.
We saw in my last blog that the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees puffed people up with pride and arrogance; and led them to want to be in control. The yeast of the Kingdom of Heaven operates very differently. We find this verse in James 4:10,
 “When you bow down before the Lord and admit your dependence on him, he will lift you up and give you honour.”
This is the opposite of the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees. If I allow the Lord to be in control then I can have an expectation of being upheld. I can be confident in any situation I find myself in; because I am not alone. The same power that raised Jesus from the dead is alive within me. The Holy Spirit lives within me to guide me, direct me, and to lead me into truth; besides giving me peace. Isn’t that awesome?
In order to experience this however, I need to constantly choose to surrender control to the Lord. He never forces his control on me. The choice I make has implications though. I can choose the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees and operate according to my ego identity; but then I am on my own and in spiritual darkness; cut off from the presence of the Lord. The better option is to live in humble dependence on the grace of the Lord; and derive all the amazing benefits of living in the light of his presence. It is both so simple and yet so difficult at the same time. Constantly choosing the better option is not something I always do; and so I often have to suffer the consequences of my choice. Yet as I grow older my blackened, burnt fingers are starting to teach me not to reach out for forbidden fruit.
Questions for reflection:
*Have you experienced the yeast of the Kingdom of Heaven?
 
*Do you, like me, struggle to choose which yeast to avail yourself of?
  
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment